In 1994, the Illinois Medical District, an agency designated by the State of Illinois, decided that the old Cook County Hospital, located at 1825 W. Harrison, required demolition. Although a brand new organization at the time, Preservation Chicago would not allow this Grand Old Dame to go down without a fight. Read the entire story of this important preservation success.
Update: Although the administration of former Cook County Board President Todd Stroger had approved a $108 Million plan to rehab old Cook County Hospital for administrative offices, the incoming administration of Toni Preckwinkle put all capital construction projects on hold shortly after it took office in December of 2010. However, on April 21, 2011, it was reported that old Cook County would indded be rehabbed as part of a $683 million multi-year capital improvement campaign.