The mid-century modern Morton Salt Headquarters Building will be demolished to make way for a new office skyscraper. Designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst and White with Shaw, Metz & Dolio, this five-story building has been a fixture at 110 North Wacker Drive since its completion in 1961. It was commissioned by Morton Salt Company, a long-standing Chicago company founded in since 1879. Morton Salt Company eventually morphed into an international conglomerate and left the building in 1992. More recently, General Growth Properties occupied the building.
At a recent Section 106 meeting, Preservation Chicago advocated for a reconsideration of the proposed demolition, citing the building’s history, integrity, scale and relationship to the development of Chicago. If the redevelopment proceeds, the historic façade should be preserved and incorporated into the new building and plaza design.
Preservation Chicago noted that the scale of the riverfront is being overwhelmed with tall, glass buildings, and the history of Wacker Drive’s transformation from Market Street is being lost. Other nearby riverfront buildings, including the Hartford Insurance Building at 100 S. Wacker Drive by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (1961), and 10 and 120 S. Riverside Plaza Buildings also by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (1968 and 1974), along with 2 N. Riverside Plaza also known as the Chicago Daily News Building by Holabird & Root (1928) should be considered for Landmark Designation.