In response to growing concern over the deteriorating condition of the Fifth Church of Christ Scientist/later known as Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, due to its long-term vacancy, Preservation Chicago has redoubled its efforts to find a patron for this building. Designed by Solon S. Beman in 1905, the church is located at 4820 S. Dorchester Avenue in the Hyde Park – Kenwood Landmark District. The effort has yielded initial positive results and a preservation-sensitive developer is potentially interested in purchasing and adaptively reusing this contributing building in a Chicago Landmark District.
Preservation Chicago and concerned members of the Hyde Park – Kenwood Community at the Building Court hearings on November 30, 2017 and December 14, 2017. The current owner has allowed the significant deterioration of the building’s condition. The emergency demolition of the rear portion of the building was discussed during the hearing. Preservation Chicago would prefer a preservation-oriented developer to stabilize and redevelop this important historic landmark. All interested individuals and organizations are encouraged to attend future Building Court hearings at Daley Center, 11th Floor.