The historic Church of the Advent at 2900 W. Logan Boulevard in Logan Square closed in 2016, almost exactly 110 years after first occupying the original church building in 1906, which was later converted into the parish house. It was designed by Elmer Jensen, who was a partner in the highly respected architecture firm of Jenney, Mundie & Jensen and who served as the church’s choirmaster. The cornerstone of the front church was dedicated in 1926, also by Elmer Jensen.
Because of the religious building exemption in Landmark Districts without owner consent, the historic church building was not protected from demolition as part the surrounding Logan Boulevards Landmark District. When the building was listed for sale, it received significant interest from developers with plans for demolition and new construction.
Ultimately, the building was sold to JAB Real Estate which is preserving the exterior and converting the building into nine residential units. The art glass windows will be preserved and the building will be added to the surrounding Landmark District.
This successful outcome is due to the efforts of Logan Square Preservation, Preservation Chicago, community members, and a special thanks to 32nd Ward Alderman Scott Waguespack for his support and leadership.