Thanks to the tireless advocacy of Preservation Chicago and the Chicago preservation community, the following buildings have been saved from demolition. Most have been restored and will survive into the foreseeable future!
American Book Company Building: 320-330 E. Cermak – Ready for Reuse Although it remains vacant and awaits a redevelopment plan, the 2_american_bookAmerican Book Company building is protected with a landmark designation, thanks to the advocacy ofPreservation Chicago and the action taken by 2nd Ward Alderman Robert Fioretti. An integral component in the trio of historic warehouse buildings located at the intersection of Cermak Road and Calumet Avenue, The American Book Company buildng is an ideal candidate for adaptive reuse once the economy returns to health. However, back in 2008, when Preservation Chicago identified it as one of its 7 Most Threatened buildings, its fate was not so assured. At that time, a local development company announced its intention to construct a new hotel complex on the 3.7 acre site which ensured demolition for the American Book Company building. That proposed project has since been shelved.
Richard Nickel Studio: 1810 W. Cortland – Studio of preservation pioneer landmarked At its September 3, 2009 meeting, and after almost two hours o3_richard_nickel_housef impassioned testimony, the Commission on Chicago Landmarks overruled a staff recommendation and voted 7 to 3 to landmark the Richard Nickel House, located at 1810 W. Cortland. This elegant 1899 Bucktown bakery building was once owned by Nickel, legendary architectural photographer and Chicago preservation pioneer. According to 'They All Fall Down,' Nickel loved the front elevation, simple floor plan and history of the building. Nickel referred to it as his 'Polish palazzo.' Until his death in 1972, it served as his base for photography and salvage operations, where he documented the work of the legendary architecture firm of Adler & Sullivan, whose legacy was rapidly being lost to demolition. Nickel had combined the two floors into a single unit with living spaces in the storefront. With the assistance of his friend, architect John Vinci, Nickel redesigned the rear wall to incorporate a series of tall, narrow doors.