“The historic Central Park Theatre is the mothership movie palace of collaborations between theater operators Balaban & Katz and Architects C.W. Rapp and George L. Rapp.
“Located in the North Lawndale neighborhood on Chicago’s West Side, it has been in the care of the House of Prayer Church of God in Christ since shortly after the movie palace closed in 1971.
“The church is working with a collaboration of non-profits and historic preservation professionals organized as the Central Park Theatre Restoration Committee. The long-term goal is a phased plan to fully restore the theater, which was built in 1917.
“Immediate stabilization needs are to install a furnace in the building as well as address some final water infiltration issues. The repair funds are needed by January 2021:
1. Replace existing furnaces in the auditorium area and provide new spiral ductwork to improve distribution.
2. Address water infiltration
3. Dispose of water damaged material from basement.”