This elegant Bucktown storefront building, located at 1810 W. Cortland, was owned by Richard Nickel, legendary architectural photographer and Chicago preservation pioneer. Until his death in 1972, it served as Nickel’s base for photography and salvage operations. There he documented the work of the pioneering architecture firm of Adler & Sullivan, whose legacy was rapidly being lost to demolition due to urban renewal. Ironically, his home, a building that played such an important role in Nickel’s efforts to raise public awareness of Adler & Sullivan’s work, itself became threatened with demolition in 2008.
Update: Due to Preservation Chicago’s action and 32nd Ward Alderman Scott Waguespack’s unwavering support, the Richard Nickel House became another Success story when it was landmarked in 2009.