Photo Credit: Leland Sheridan, Photo Credit by IDOT Chicago Traffic Photographs (University of Illinois at Chicago)
The Leland and Sheridan Building was built in 1914 and was designed by Perry and Thomas. The two-story red-brick building has wonderfully ornate terra cotta details on the facade and cornice. The terra cotta Chicago-style windows and clay-tile roof have been lost due to decades of disinvestment. The building has suffered through a recent foreclosure and partial restoration by the bank owner.
An Uptown non-profit, Sarah’s Circle, has requested a zoning change in order to demolish the building and replace it with a seven-story building. Preservation Chicago is working with Uptown community members to find alternatives that would both protect the Leland and Sheridan Building and allow Sarah’s Circle to expand its mission. Preservation Chicago has offered the suggestion that the east building of Cuneo Hospital be renovated, accomplish all the programmatic requirements of Sarah’s Circle, eliminate the threat for the Leland and Sheridan Building, and provide an outstanding reuse option for Cuneo Hospital.
Preservation Chicago spoke on behalf of the Leland and Sheridan Building and suggested the Cuneo Hospital reuse option at Aderman Cappleman’s well-attended community meeting on December 12th.