In November 2015, 2nd Ward Alderman Hopkins, Preservation Chicago, the East Village Association, and Ukrainian Village community members testified to prevent the demolition of the 1920’s era Ukrainian Dairy/Leona’s building and the adjoining Victorian era buildings at 1936-1944 W. Augusta Ave. The passionate testimony proved unable to reverse the opinions of the Landmark Commissioners who voted to approve the demolition permit. The preservation effort then moved to the full City Council where Alderman Hopkins courageously defended the will of the community and continued to oppose the demolition permit.
After a year of advocacy and negotiations, the developer, MCZ Development, has agreed to preserve the one-story, white glazed tile 1920’s dairy façade that runs along Augusta and set back the new construction mid-rise tower.
Preservation Chicago salutes 2nd Ward Alderman Brian Hopkins heroic efforts to protect an important neighborhood landmark. Preservation Chicago also applauds the efforts of the East Village Association which worked closely with Alderman Flores in 2007 to downzone the property, a move which provided an important tool for the current preservation effort.