The ornate two-story exterior facade of the Village Theater/Germania Theater will be saved and partially reconstructed as necessary. It’s located on the Gold Coast at 1550 N. Clark Street adjacent to the Designated Chicago Landmark Germania Club Building. A Designated Chicago Landmark since 2009, the façade of the Village Theater will be carefully incorporated into the new residential development and serve as its principal entry, thanks in part to the advocacy of Preservation Chicago. The development team is a joint venture between Golub & Co. and CIM Group with architecture firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz. The new 10-story building will deliver 32 condominium units.
Originally called the Germania Theater, and later the Globe, the Village Theatre was one of the best-surviving first generation movie theaters in Chicago. Designed by German-born architect Adolph Woerner for motion picture use, the building was completed in 1916 and was part of a theater chain operated by Herman L. Grunbiner. This brick and terra cotta-clad building is a mix of Classical Revival and Renaissance Revival styles, incorporating Germanic symbolism, such as the two-barred Cross of Lorraine. (Landmarks Division, City of Chicago)