Leasing is underway for the residential adaptive reuse of the six concrete and red brick buildings of the 1.5 million square foot Marshall Field’s warehouse complex located on 22 acres at 4000 W. Diversey Avenue and Pulaski Road in Logan Square. Renamed “Field’s Lofts,” the developer is Hubbard Street Group with architect Hirsch MPG Associates and Harken Interiors. Built for the Olson Rug Company in 1928, this site was later occupied by Marshall Field’s until 2008 when it was shuttered by Macy’s. After a lengthy period of vacancy, it was sold for redevelopment in 2014.
When Macy’s announced they were closing the facility, Preservation Chicago held numerous meetings with former 31st Ward Alderman Ray Suarez to encourage possible Chicago Landmark designation and to consider an adaptive reuse of the site for residential and affordable housing within these immense fireproof buildings.
John McLinden of Hubbard Street told Curbed Chicago. “The product is also very different. These are loft-style units with 14 to 17-foot ceilings, original concrete columns, and large-scale industrial windows. It’s not just another white box in the sky.” Preservation Chicago applauds Hubbard Street Group, architect Hirsch MPG Associates, Harken Interiors and Kickpoint Ventures for their success at restoring and activating these great Chicago warehouse buildings.
This is also the historic site of the much beloved and missed Olson Rug Park and Waterfall built in 1935. This park featured an elaborate illuminated rock garden and 35-foot waterfall, which made it a popular Chicago attraction. The site was sold to Marshall Fields in 1965 and the waterfall and park were dismantled in 1970.