On October 24, 2017, the Commission on Chicago Landmarks honored 13 outstanding historic renovation and redevelopment projects with the annual Preservation Excellence Awards. The list of award winning projects included the restoration and rehabilitation of the long-vacant Rosenwald Court Apartments in Grand Boulevard (Chicago 7 2007 Most Endangered) by Landwhite Development, LLC, which is now a Designation Chicago Landmark. It also included the restoration of the 134-year-old All Saints Episcopal Church in Ravenswood, the adaptive reuse of the Bush Temple of Music on the Near North Side, the adaptive reuse of the former Mulligan School which suffered from a massive fire in Lincoln Park; the rehabilitation of the glorious art deco skyscraper at 333 N. Michigan Ave., the adaptive reuse of West Town’s Polish National Alliance Building, and the restoration of private homes in South Shore and the Near North Side.
“The Preservation Excellence Awards celebrate the remarkable commitments of private property owners to Chicago’s heritage, its history, and its character,” said David L. Reifman, commissioner of the Department of Planning and Development, which provides staff services to the Landmarks Commission. “In terms of rehabilitation and new construction, these projects represent the best of the best.”
Preservation Chicago applauds the leadership and vision of the owners, developers and architects who have stepped forward to “breath life” back into some of Chicago’s greatest architectural gems. Bravo!
- 185 N. Morgan St. (Fulton-Randolph Market District)
- 223 W. Menomonee St. (Old Town Triangle District)
- 333 N. Michigan Ave.
- 2347 N. Geneva Terrace (Mid-North District)
- 2400 S. Michigan Ave. (Motor Row District)
- 7006 S. Euclid Ave. (Jackson Park Highlands District)
- Ace Hotel, 311 N. Morgan St. (Fulton-Randolph Market District)
- All Saints Episcopal Church, 4550 N. Hermitage Ave.
- Bush Temple of Music, 800 N. Clark St.
- Former James Mulligan Public School, 1855 N. Sheffield Ave.
- Polish National Alliance Building, 1514-1520 W. Division St.
- Robey Hotel, 1606-08 N. Milwaukee Ave. (Milwaukee Avenue District)
- Rosenwald Court Apartments, 4642 S. Michigan Ave.