Jackson Park has been a Preservation Chicago 7 Most Endangered in 2017 and again in 2018. We are advocating the protection of this important historic landscape designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux with contributions by Alfred Caldwell. Preservation Chicago does not oppose the Obama Presidential Center, but would strongly prefer the 20-acre private facility to be constructed in a location other than historic Jackson Park.
Preservation Chicago Newsletter
Despite a vigorous 11th hour preservation effort, the historic D.H. Burnham & Company designed building at 1217 West Washington has been demolished. After the expiration of a 90-Day Demolition Delay hold, the demolition permit was issued on January 23, 2018 for the orange-rated Chicago Machinery Building. Built in 1910, this three-story commercial and industrial building had an outstanding façade with highly decorative ornamentation and an elaborately detailed cornice. The white glazed brick contrasted beautifully with the maroon-colored ornament and arched window openings.
Landmarks Illinois released its annual most endangered building list for 2018. The list included three Chicago buildings including the James R. Thompson Center, the Second Christian Science Church, and The Forum.
- “Flex space includes 5 bedrooms and 3 full baths, plus additional spaces for entertaining and expanding the kitchen and living space. Master has option of ensuite and basement has potential for complete 3rd level of living. Move right in, or create a modern floor plan in an historic home rich with character and history. 3 car garage, plus side drive w/ original storage shed.”
- Lawrence and Winchester
- 79th and Kenwood
- Western and 63rd
- Six Corners at Irving Park and Cicero
- The second floor of the existing historic firehouse should not be demolished and replaced by new construction.
- Window openings on the upper floors should alight to follow the historic building below on primary elevations. The “black-eye” punched internal balconies should not be permitted. In this case, exterior balconies are preferable to internal balconies. It would be preferable to have balconies on side and rear elevations.
- The cornice, triangular pediment and corner elements should be rebuilt on the original second floor roofline as closely as possible to the original design based upon the historic photographs.
- The rebuilt cornice should be at the second floor roofline, with the new floors set back 10 feet from the cornice line. This would allow for exterior patio space on the roof as well as protecting and respecting the historic structure.
The prairie school industrial building located at 1401 W. Wabansia Street at Ada Street was sold on February 21, 2018. The demolition permit was released on March 27, 2018 and the building was demolished on April 4, 2018.
Built in 1919, this two-story, with third story penthouse and roof deck, had most recently been occupied as the Wabansia Warehouse wedding venue. Prior uses included the High Concept Laboratories music venue.
The building was built by the Ralph H. Simpson Company, an iron and steel contractor. The building was owned and occupied by the Simpson-Frisch Company, which manufactured metal stairs and other ornamental metal products. The Freisch Company was incorporated by three Chicagoans, Paul Frisch, T. M. McQuiston, and Henry W. Huttman in 1916. It appears that the construction company and the Freisch Company merged to form Simpson-Frisch. No architect is given. (Special thanks to Matt Wicklund for his historic research)
The heavy timber floor and ceilings made the interior an interesting and authentic location. The loft building’s dark brown brick and window grouping separated by vertical piers with limestone caps made it a unique and architecturally compelling building.
Low rise historic industrial buildings are being lost throughout Chicago at an alarming rate. It is believed that this property is owned by Sterling Bay and is anticipated to be part of the new Lincoln Yards development.
The City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development Historic Preservation Division has mentioned in public meetings that they conducted a survey which identified approximately 60 historic commercial industrial buildings which should be preserved as part of any redevelopment of the North Branch Industrial Corridor and Lincoln Yards development. We at Preservation Chicago would like to see these buildings preserved and protected.
The Fulton-Randolph District was designated an official Chicago Landmark District by City Council in 2015. As a result, designated landmarks undergoing significant rehabilitation within the Designation Chicago Landmark District qualify for the “Class L” incentive which lowers the tax rate.
The landmark commercial building at 1113 W. Fulton Market in the West Loop Fulton-Randolph Market District will benefit from the Class L property tax incentive. Dating to the early 1900s, the 45,000-square-foot building was actually designed by architect A.H. Lowden as two separate buildings. Furniture manufacture F. G. Baumgart & Co. occupied one building and weather stripping manufacturer D. W. Bosley Co. occupied the other.
The “Class L” incentive, valued at $2.3 million over the next 12 years, will help to support a $10 million rehabilitation of the two-story structure into retail and office space. The work will include masonry repairs, new windows and storefronts, new systems, a rooftop deck, and repairs to the existing canopy. Up to 45 permanent and 55 temporary jobs are expected from the project. (Landmarks Division, City of Chicago)