After many years of preservation advocacy, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and the adjoining parish house will be landmarked. The Parish House will be sold to a developer for adaptive reuse as residential apartments while the adjoining church will continue operation as an Episcopal church.
After many years of preservation advocacy, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and the adjoining parish house will be landmarked. The Parish House will be sold to a developer for adaptive reuse as residential apartments while the adjoining church will continue operation as an Episcopal church. Located at 615 to 623 W. Belmont Avenue near Broadway in Lake View, the church building was designed by William A. Otis in 1895.
The Belmont Avenue elevation is comprised of a rusticated limestone facade with a tower and high-gable. The small-scaled church building was inspired by 15th-century English Gothic churches. It features open timber construction and ornamental trusses and retains much of its original Victorian charm. The adjacent three-story, brick parish house was built in 1926 and designed by William C. Jones. It includes beamed ceilings, an ornamental Gothic stone entryway, and diagonal leaded glass windows, refined brick and stone work, and a steeply pitched roofline. The sanctuary was restored in the 1990’s, including a restoration of original colors and stencils under the direction of Robert Furhoff.
The parish house building will be sold by the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago to JAB Realty with architectural design by SPACE Architects + Planners. This is the same development team that recently purchased and is adaptively reusing the former Episcopal Church of the Advent on Logan Boulevard in the Logan Square Boulevards Historic Landmark District and Church of the Epiphany in West Loop which is located in the Jackson Boulevard Historic Landmark Extension District.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks voted to approve Preliminary Landmark Designation on May 3, 2018. 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney was strongly supportive of Chicago Landmark Designation.
Preservation Chicago testified in support of the Landmark Designation of the buildings. During early discussions of redevelopment options two years ago, Preservation Chicago strongly advocated for and supported that both buildings be included in the Landmark Designation. We also strongly supported the option of keeping the church functioning as a church, even if the parish house were to be sold and repurposed.
Preservation Chicago applauds the developer Jim Jann of JAB Realty, architect Jean Dufresne of SPACE Architects + Planners, the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago, and Bishop Reverend Jeffrey Lee for supporting a Chicago Landmark Designation and a creative adaptive reuse project, which also retains the church’s religious use.
Additionally, Preservation Chicago applauds 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney for his leadership and his ongoing commitment to historic preservation.